Thursday, December 9, 2010

Memory Lane...

The last few days here in Voorthuizen have been a trip down memory lane for me. The Tammingas were kind enough to drive us to Oom Mart's house. As we entered Jan Steenstraat, I eagerly started scanning houses... yes I knew it was #19, but I also knew it was near the corner on the right side of the street... and when I saw it, I knew without a doubt that I had been there before. It was almost exactly as I remembered it. Only one thing was missing... Grootmoe. Grootmoe was my great-grandmother. and I have memories of her in almost every room of the house. ...In the kitchen getting her very long hair braided by one of her daughters. ...sitting in the living room on the couch knitting a sweater for one of her many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. ...upstairs in the room where i am now, in the dark, looking at the stars. ...and in every room there is a picture of her.
Yesterday, we took the train to Utrecht. As we walked up to the station of Barneveld Noord(formerly known as Barneveld-Voorthuizen) I had the funny feeling that I had been there before. When we got on to the platform, I stopped in amazement. In my minds eye I had gone back about twelve years. I was five years old and Opa was teaching me to run backwards. On the platform of that train station. (for the record I still can run backwards fairly well... and yes I did try it again there, although the heels on my boots hindered the process a little)
Its amazing the memories I have of this place... for such a young girl. I am very blessed to have been able to return here and see everything again, and to make new memories.

1 comment:

Jonathan Madany said...

Lydia,

I'm glad to hear that your time in Holland is going well.

Jonathan