Sunday, December 12, 2010

Groningen

Well, here we are at another stop on our journey. On Friday afternoon after a two hour train ride from Amersfoort to Groningen station we were welcomed by Lydia's second cousin: Jodie Kolbeek. she helped us find our way to their small town grijpskerk where we were warmly received by her family. (her parents and three brothers: Tom 17, Coen 14, and Neik 6) They live in an old dutch house on a tiny little street surrounded by other neat little row houses. It's the oldest "sub division" we've stayed in so far and absolutely storybook like! Friday was Jodie's birthday so once again we had a chance to meet more people our age. The Kolbeeks speek amazing english so its really nice for me. Lydia on the other had was having no problem with her dutch... her english however was suffering. she's my translator but she forgets and repeats everything back to me in dutch. its kind of funny because i've become extremely used to tuning out everything i don't understand.

Lydia and I commented to eachother a few days ago and said "you know what? being on holidays is great, but it would really be nice to do some regular house work." Well, Mrs Kolbeek must have known somehow that we said that, because I've already been through her kitchen and baked a huge tray of brownies and tonight Lydia, Jodie, Tom and i had the house to ourselves and prepared supper. The problem came when we had to make sauce. Jodie had never made sauce of any kind and figured that canadians probably know how to. Thanks to google we managed to find a recipe for sweet and sour sauce and once again I was able to acquaint myself with the cupboards. How on earth was I supposed to know that corn starch is "maizena" in dutch? Anyway, Lydia and I are feeling useful once more:)

Yesterday we went... well what we've been doing almost every day of our trip, we went the the "winkelstraat" this time in the ciry of Groningen. The shopping here is the best! we just have a little problem... our suitcases are full to bursting:P But that doesn't stop a pair of shopaholics let loose in a foreign country, even if it mean purchasing a new suitcase eventually.

Today we walked the two minutes down the road to the Kerk, but my dutch still leaves alot to be desired and I'm afraid I couldn't get very much out of the sermon. This afternoon I stayed home and listened to a CanRef church service by Rev. Holvluwer... IN ENGLISH!!!!! It was so refreshing! The weather has warmed up alot, no more ice and snow since friday! instead.... rain, oh joy:)

3 comments:

Elora Oosterhoff said...

It's sounds like your trip so far has been pretty exciting. I enjoyed catching up on how you two are doing. Thanks for posting all the pictures, it's fun to see a little of the towns/cities you have been to. The different architecture is so fascinating and I'm sure really cool to see walking through the streets. It's too bad that you can't comment on individual pictures. Is there anything Lydia can do to fix that?
Anyway, I hope you two enjoy the last bit of your trip. We will be praying for you!
With love,
Elora

andy said...

Hey,

If you have nothing else to do in Groningen, you can visit my old school... Gomarus College. Or go to kardinge.

Have fun

Andy

Justine said...

I went to a French service in Quebec once. The minister and his family, who we were staying with, spoke English, though, and gave us a print-out to read during the sermon.