Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bush and desert and fish!!!

a.k.a. Burgers' Zoo!



Stepping from the cold into a tropical rainforest... Ruth-Ann said it was Cuba all over again! All sorts of plants and trees and flowers... with crazy sounding birds, who, by the way, are quite tame and will walk pretty much right up to you!

Over that last two weeks I have learned a little about my darling traveling companion: She has a horrible weakness for *drumroll please* ...Eiffel towers and manitees! There were 2 manitees at the zoo and Ruth-Ann went crazy over them. Dissapointingly, they wouldnt come out of the water when she had her camera ready, so we have a few pictures of underwater manitees, which we might post... (for those who wish to make her happy... she wants a pet manitee and a scale model of an eiffel tower...!)

The desert was amazing, too. It was a sort of model of a North American desert. so it was COLD! and the plants and lots of the animals were in 'winter mode' but the peccaries were out and so were the vultures and the bighorn sheep. The fleetness of foot of the sheep was thrilling to watch and Ruth-Ann, Oom Binne and Tante Nel could tell you that I just about fell into their enclosure in my eagerness to watch 'that last jump'. :)

The aquarium was the most breathtaking of all. Thousands upon thousands of fish, big and small, brightly coloured and dull-ly marked, swimming in coral reefs or wrecks of ships.... We both really enjoyed that. Although I think we thought that the biggest creatures that we saw in the water were the coolest... the divers cleaning the inside of the foot thick glass! The last section was really cool.... glass tunnel through the aquarium! It was facinating! But those who know of my apathy for deep water will understand when I say I walked through it quickly, with my heart in my mouth. From the safety of the otherside I watched the stingrays slowly flap their way over peoples heads and laughed when they got a little too close for comfort. (random fact... did you know that their tails are almost 2 meters long?)

After the Zoo, we went to Tante Nel's place for supper... erwtensoup! met worst! Heerlijk!!!

No comments: